Friday, December 31, 2010

Unhappy Endings in LGBT fiction

I'm a big fan of the LGBT genre, more often than not I prefer it to heterosexual based books. The only problem I have with some of these books, is not the content for most are well written. Its the fact that most end with unhappy endings, whether the two in the end don't end up together. I do understand that in life, things don't always turn out how we want them too. That bad things do happen, and we have to get through them. However why do authors feel the need, to always end the LGBT genre with such an unfortunate end? Its like the author is sending out a personal message of his or her own, saying that it'll only end in ruin.

I don't like the thought of that, for everyone deserves their own happiness, even fictional characters. Plus young teens, and young adults, or even adults who identity themselves as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or even Transsexual. I believe they need a source to the turn to that's not completely negative. Now I'm not saying that someone should not read books, that have bad endings. Because obviously in reality relationships don't work out sometimes. What I am getting out there should be a good source to turn to, to show the person(s) that its possible to end up happy with your own sex. Even if the road to being with them is a hard one. Truthfully if someones looking for proof, that relationships of the same sex can last. Then its only natural they'd want to read about, someones (even if fictional) experience at having it work out. The reason for this post, is mainly just my own thoughts rather than to sound as if I'm complaining. I do realize that there are a few with happy endings, but not quite enough as there should be.

Especially when someone does not have anyone they could turn to. Due to not being able to come out, for fear of family, and or friends abandoning them. Books are a great reference to let an adolescent, or even an adult know that its okay to be who they are. Also to let them know that just because, they love their own gender that not everything will always end badly. In the earlier years of when I had come to terms, that I liked woman instead of men. Often I wanted an outlet to let me know, that it was all okay that it might not work out, but there was hope that I could find someone in my own gender and make it work. Now reading some of these fictions, with unhappy endings it just makes me wonder, what others are thinking when they read the same books. Its not much but below is a list I've complied of the books I've read, that have happy endings, and might help someone who have had similar thoughts to my own.

Ash by Malina Lo

Boy meets Boy by David Levithan

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

(When I can think of more, I'll update this list.)

No comments:

Post a Comment